Where do I go from here?

I was picking up crawfish from the cargo side of the airport tonight and got to thinking.  I pick people up and drop people off from the airport.  I visit relatives at their request.  I was traded back and forth among relatives as a kid.  I've gone on business trips with my wife and my friend.  I've gone with my wife on trips she's planned.

I don't think I've ever been to the airport to go somewhere I chose.  Weird.  I used to be a frequent flyer member, so this is especially weird.

Then I got to talking with my wife about any trip in my life where I've picked the destination.  At first, she was sure I was wrong, but as we went on, we could only come up with two POSSIBLE exceptions.  And these only fit the bill technically, not the spirit of the thought.

I bought her a cruise for our engagement.

We THINK I was the primary decision maker to a trip to Big Pine Key.

See, I've got an idea that anything I want out there, I can get in Orlando.  The reasons I come up with to leave Orlando are so incredibly petty.  An example:

It is said that in Ireland, the Guinness tastes totally different.  I don't like Guinness.  Or really dark beer for that matter.

I want to go to England and have fish and chips.  Within 50 miles of my house, there are over 100 places to get fish and chips.  I've actually ranked them.  (Cafe Rouge is #1, Fiddler's Green is #2)

I think all the Japanese minimalist culture is cool.  I'd get bored with it in 15 minutes though.  So really, I just want a zoo that has Japanese people.

I pay for electricity, internet, gas, tolls, some food, and payments on a giant air conditioner I put in.  After the AC is paid off, I'm going to treat myself to something, so maybe a trip.  But when you live in the tourist destination of the world, where do you go for a vacation?

0 comments:

Post a Comment