What one poster would you take with you to jail?

It was asked on Reddit.  Naturally it was divided up between jokes and boobs.  A few like "a picture of space" or "the picture of everything" (http://www.thepictureofeverything.com/) were up there.  No work of art, which is weird.  That's my first thought.


Despite hating artists, I love art.  Like "Son of Man" by Rene Magritte.

To the unknowing this is just a picture of a guy with an apple in front of his face.  But the painting has more meaning than that.  We look at him, and we see him as faceless.  His face is hidden.  But why do we notice that?  It's obscured, but so is everything else.  The man is obscured by his clothes.  The wall is obscured by the man.  The ocean by the wall.  The sky by the ocean.  The universe by the sky.

We focus on the face because it's what we're trained to look at.  We are trained to see that he is faceless.  We are trained to see that we are hidden by jail.  The truth is that the wall is hidden by the jail and the coast is hidden by the wall and on and on.  We're still a part of everything around us.  The barriers are inconsequential because they are there no matter what circumstances we find ourselves in.  I'm not in jail.  I'm still in the universe.  What I'm seeing at this moment has changed, but I'm still right where I was before these walls blocked my view of something else that was blocking my view.

Instead of a poster, I think I'd want it in a postcard so I could keep it in bed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment