Fear

http://www.anxietybc.com/sites/default/files/FacingFears_Exposure.pdf

Without getting metaphysical (loss of love, etc), my fears are well-defined.  Maybe it's a side effect of the crazy.  I've spent my life differentiating between what is and what I feel is.

Dog Bites

Falling Elevators

Losing Sanity

Losing Intelligence

Eating Crickets

Right now, these don't interfere with my life much.

I freeze up around certain dogs, but not all dogs.  The only ones triggering me now are my friend Johnny's.

I'm good on elevators and can handle twenty floors with little problem.  Thirty or so and I throw up.  Exceptions are things like the Willis Tower (though I went up when it was the Sears Tower) which has super fancy elevators that don't trigger me.

The fear that my pills might stop working or I might change chemical gears around them is silly and it doesn't bother me that much.

A head injury resulting in a Flowers For Algernon-style regression is confined to nightmares.

Eating crickets weirds me out because I imagine their little round black eyeball stuck between my teeth.

According to this paper, I should face these fears.  Approach Johnny's dogs.  Ride more elevators.  Trust my brain.  Eat crickets.

Well, one step at a time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment