The Non-stuff-stuff that owns you


I keep a list of everything I own.  I like it.  It's therapeutic and updating it has the kind of zen to it that balancing a checkbook used to have (when we still used checkbooks).  But there's another kind of ownership.  Non-stuff-stuff.  It's usually digital in nature.

Like Tyler Durden said, "The things you own, end up owning you."

If you are subscribed to something, that thing eats up your time.  Even if it's just the time spent looking at it to realize you don't want to look at it.  I already posted about Unroll.me and my email subscriptions:

* Flash Mob America
* Kevo Support
* Lulu.com
* My Gym Waterford Lakes
* Oneblood
* Orlando Pub Crawl
* Publix Super Markets
* Roku
* Songza
* Team Couple
* Venmo
* Hotto Potto (new from last time; local restaurant I love)
* MSF Media Relations (new from last time; my industry newsletter)

Well, now I'm going to talk about ME ME ME a little more.

These are my only Facebook Likes.  Both of them are companies of a friend.  I have lots of friends with companies that ask me to like them.  I like them, then stealth unsubscribe later.  I'm still on these two right now because her businesses are actually ones I want to keep an eye on to see if they get off the ground.  Exotic fruits and hippy baked goods (that are delicious).  I wrote an article on this woman that is published in a couple months and I want to see if they get a little more popular, too.

* 100% Edible and Fruiting Plants
* Wake 'n' Bake

These are the only TV Shows I watch:

* Borgia (About the family of Pope Alexandre VI.  It ends this season though.  There's a few Borgia shows out.  This is the French-German-Czech one also know as Borgia: Faith and Fear.  Best show I've seen in years.)
* Sherlock (Only 3 episodes per season, but they're good episodes)
* Doctor Who (The Doctor is someone I have mixed feelings about, like any long lasting relationship.  Whovians have a "my Doctor" and since my parents started me young, my Doctor is Tom Baker from the 80s.  So I've got a sunk cost fallacy to deal with if I ever wanted to stop watching.  There are good episodes and bad episodes.  The good ones are really good.  The bad ones are really bad.  In the last few years, my wife has gotten into it enough that we watch them together.  With her schedule though, that means I miss the whole season and then catch up with her at the end of the season in a couple days.)


Now, there are some TV Shows that I might start watching because I like the books/comics they are adapted from.  Arrow is already on the air, but the rest are coming in the next year.

* Gotham (Batman prequel)
* Arrow (Green Arrow.  I didn't like the pilot, but I heard it got much better)
* Flash (Looks like they're going full spandex)
* Preacher (Fucking mature content religious sacrilege story.)
* Constantine (DC Comics' John Constantine.  I liked the Keanu Reeves movie, but this looks like it'll actually do the character justice.)
* Gun Machine (Warren Ellis just tweeted that his book is being adapted.  It's about an investigation into a room full of an altar of guns, all from famous murders throughout history)

I've started following some Blogs again.  I stopped when Google Reader went down, but I started up on Feedly.  They're all minimalist things.

* Becoming Minimalist
* Frugal in Tasmania (guy is in the middle of buying only the pure essentials for a year and donating his money to charity)
* GoDownsize.com
* The Everyday Minimialist
* the minimalist mom
* The Minimalists

0 comments:

Post a Comment