How Do You Justify Piracy?

Good discussion on Reddit on this.  http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/29dvwj/how_do_you_justify_pirating_content_serious/

1. I live in X country and it takes forever for content to be released here.
2. I don't justify it. I enjoy free stuff.
3. The companies are conspiring against us with inflated prices.
4. I'm poor.
5. I think of it as borrowing.  Like from a library.  If I like it, I'll buy it.  If I don't, I'll delete it.
6. I stopped pirating once delivery systems became sane.
7. I'm not taking anyone's money away. If I didn't get it for free, I wouldn't buy it.
8. Whatever. They're rich.
9. Why don't they just give it to us for cheap?  Like $1 for a movie.


The tenth most upvoted comment had answers for each medium so I wanted to do my own.

TV: I watch three shows. Doctor Who, Borgia (on its last season), and Sherlock.  I wait for both Doctor Who and Borgia to hit Netflix.  DW because my wife likes to watch them with us and it takes forever for us to have time anyway.  Borgia because it's released on Netflix almost the same time it airs in Europe and I wouldn't be able to pirate it anyway because it's not popular enough.  So I pirate Sherlock.  Three episodes every other year or so.  A very popular mystery series.  That means if I don't watch them within a couple days (truthfully within 24 hours by my experience), the mystery is ruined by spoilers.  I can't imagine I should have to pay for a premium monthly cable service non-stop for over a year just to get 3 episodes on the BBC.  That's like $500 per episode.  So I pirate Sherlock.

Movies:  I don't watch a lot of movies and only go to the theater maybe 2-3 times a year.  And that's against my will usually to see a children's movie.  I do pirate some movies though.  If I can't find them on a streaming service for rent/buy/free or at Redbox or Blockbuster, I feel like I've done my due diligence towards legality.

Music:  I buy mp3s from Amazon, and use the Amazon Prime Music service, Songza, Apple Music, and the radio.

Books:  I've pirated maybe a couple books.  I don't like how they look, ebooks are cheap, and I have a library card.

Games: I don't play games.

0 comments:

Post a Comment